Byju’s, Education-technology startup is in talks to acquire parts of TutorVista from British publishing and education firm Pearson. Acquisition discussion also includes the online business of technology-enabled education solutions provider Edurite that TutorVista acquired in 2007. Deal size is not disclosed yet.

Pearson acquired a 17% stake in TutorVista from Bengaluru-based entrepreneur-investor couple K Ganesh and Meena Ganesh in 2009. In January 2011, it purchased another 59% before increasing its controlling stake to 80% shortly after. Pearson acquired the remaining 20% after two years.

Byju’s is in Talks to Acquire Edurite and TutorVista

Pearson is facing trouble in its education business and reported a pretax loss of £2.6 billion for 2016. While Byju’s, backed by the Chan Zuckerberg initiative and flush with cash after a recent fundraising, is looking for international footprints.

The deal is a win-win situation for both of the stakeholders. TutorVista is having a large presence in US market and hence would provide a strong base to Byju’s to build upon. Till date, Byju’s has been a private label and creating its own content. With Edurite, they can now sell any kind of education content from any kind of provider. Also, Edurite has a big database of students, to whom they have been selling worksheets and video-CDs. The data is crucial for Byju’s India business. Edurite works on a lead generation and a call-centre based model, and this will help Byju’s in its sales as well.

The school management piece, which was a part of Edurite, is still with Pearson. The part that Byju’s has acquired is the e-commerce marketplace model.

Since education sector is recession-proof sector, close to $1.1 billion has been pumped into the Indian education sector since 2007 by private equity investors. Byju’s today is the largest funded edtech startup in the country with $204 million funds till date. With its target of penetration in the international market, Byju’s will be facing challenges from bigger players of the same domain.

Fuckedup is a phrase that captures all the emotions associated with the startup journey.

If no concept clicks in your mind, you feel frustrated. If you are not able to manage a proper team for your startup, you feel irritated. If funds, revenue, expansion etc don’t take place as per planning and expectation, you feel infuriated.

To keep you away from all these feeling, FS is continuously providing you to the best guidelines, practices and market trends. Please share your feedback at contact@fuckedupstartups.com